When I started this blog about a year ago I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into what I wanted to accomplish with it. I’m not sure that was actually a bad thing, though, because it allowed me to just be myself and write whatever I felt like writing. It was originally intended to only focus on writing. I wasn’t going to comment on my ‘real’ life at all, my children, or express any of my personal opinions. So, in reality I had created a blog for me (me being Lisa Pomfrey-Talbot, author) yet I wasn’t giving myself permission to actually be me on my very own blog. I realized fairly quickly that wasn’t going to work given I’m not good at biting my tongue when I feel the need to voice my opinion and a lot of the things I want to blog about stem from being a hectic working mom with two girls and a husband – that’s who I am. So, I believe the challenge will be to find a balance that allows this blog to focus largely on writing but also allows me the flexibility to show the world who I really am, what my stand is on certain issues, and what I treasure and value in life.
- Achieve 100 followers. I currently only have about 20 followers though a lot of people read my posts. I guess I need to figure out a way to make them want to read more of what I have to say. I’m really not sure what an average following is so I figure 100 is as good a place to start as any.
- Post at least once a week – no exceptions. I think this will assist in achieving #1 and make most of the things on my list below more achievable and realistic.
- Do more “Recommended Reads” – these are similar to book reviews, but not actually reviews in the traditional sense. I don’t rate books, but when I read something I like or discover a new author that I think people should know about I will tell you what I liked about the book and why I enjoyed it. If I don’t like a book I’m not going to post negative things on my blog about it. That’s just not who I am. I don’t like rating things because people’s opinions are subjective. My 5 might be your 2 or vice versa depending on what we value in a book. I actually think this is one of the most important things I want to do on this blog. I tend to gravitate to books written by new authors and I try very hard to support Canadian writers. I can see from my stats that the majority of people visiting my blog are actually from the US, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand so I hope my recommended reads can help introduce some great authors to people in other parts of the world who likely wouldn’t hear of them otherwise. My goal is to do a minimum of 5 Recommended Reads in 2014, hopefully more.
- Begin doing author interviews. Again, the real goal here is to help support other authors. We need to have each other’s backs and support one another in the ways that we can. My goal for 2014 will be 3 author interviews just to get me started, but I will strive to do more.
- More posts introducing people to my part of the world. Since most people reading my blog aren’t from Nova Scotia I want to share more pictures and tell you about this fabulous place I call home as well as the places I find myself in as I follow my kids around the Maritimes for their various sporting events. We have unique shops, beautiful landscapes, and an endless amount of festivals so I look forward to telling you more about this place.
I’ve probably missed some things, but these are the ones that I really want to focus on.
Feel free to follow me!